Tuesday, September 6, 2011





New Game

In spite of my good intentions and those of thousands of other women on Facebook,
the new "Game" seems to have backfired in more ways than one via mislead friends with heartfelt congratulations, concerned e-mails, alarmed relatives, etc...

Before I joined in the 'fun', I questioned the premise of the delivery (pardon the pun) to raise awareness but who am I? I know one thing. It didn't seem quite right but I, like so many other well meaning people, jumped in anyway.

Then, I ran across this article http://www.viewshound.com/internet/2011/9/5/the-new-facebook-fad-im-four-weeks-along?utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=wall&utm_source=Facebook

The writer may seem overly dramatic to some but she does make a good point in her overall message and I had to face what I basically ignored when the game was first passed to me. It really is in bad taste.

I don't know where the idea came from and though, I see where the tactic is used to raise awareness to make people curious enough to ask, I believe we can be a little more creative than this. No offense to the game creator(s). I doubt he/she thought there would be this type of backlash but let's think about it. After all, how many women with this disease cannot have children because of damaged organs or chemotherapy? How many women can breastfeed after breast cancer?

Suddenly, the game feels thoughtless and I'm sorry to say, I played along.

I enjoy supporting our fellow sisters and brothers and I'm always up for a good game but I believe we need to rethink this one.

Just saying.

~Deborah Manning-Galarza 9/6/2011









http://www.viewshound.com/internet/2011/9/5/the-new-facebook-fad-im-four-weeks-along?utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=wall&utm_source=Facebook

No comments: